Okay folks, I’m looking for your wisdom and insight here.
I’m subscribed to the ‘Linux for Christians’ mailing list (don’t ask!). A few days ago somebody posted this article, which is about a man in America who is on a crusade to get Christian parents to take their children out of the public school system.
Trudy and I happily send our kids to a public school, and we’re both very involved there. It seems, however, my approach to the matter isn’t in vogue amongst the more vocal members of the list. The discussion has been going on a few days now, and I’d like to get some feedback from any reader with any insight.
- Is the public education system in the US as bad as it’s made out to be?
- Is there any evidence of a conspiracy by the ‘liberals’ to wrest control of children from their parents, especially Christians?
- How dangerous is a public school to the faith of Christian kids? How does it compare in Christian schools? What about home-schooled children?
- How does the faith of young Christians fare after they leave the various educational systems?
- How would these questions be answered in Australia?
- Is it a legitimate expression of mission for Christians to send their children to public schools?
- Is it fair to include our children in our mission this way?
- How should children view the ideas of mission and evangelism?
- Should we abandon the school system to the ‘evil liberals?’
- What do we do with Christian kids who don’t come from Christian families?
I realise a lot of the answers to these questions will begin with ‘It depends…’ Still, I’d love to hear your responses.